Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What Kind of Dessert Are You?

This sweet post has been entered into Scribbit's March Write Away Contest.

***************

What is your favorite dessert?
(a) Lemon Meringue Pie
(b) Cheesecake
(c) Brownie
(d) Doughnut

No doubt you've seen personality tests flying around that relate you to some type of delectable treat. They bug me a little. Because I can never make up my mind on questions like the above. I love them all!

And truth be told, I AM them all. I am a woman and a mother, after all.

Lemon Meringue Pie. That's me, all right. The perfect combination of flaky crust, tart innards, and sweet topping. I am constantly multi-tasking, trying to juggle a myriad of tasks. Depending on when you catch me, you might get any of those hats, those three tastes in your mouth. Always a surprise, it is.

Cheesecake. I savor every luscious bite of life, especially where my baby girl is concerned. I treasure each new development: the first time she says "I love you," the first time she prays, the first time she writes her name. Yes, my life is certainly cheesecake, full of decadent moments of sunlight and joy, growth and thankfulness.

Brownie. I definitely have some chocolate in me. That addictiveness, devotion, loyalty to something that defies explanation. Women aren't about being explained. Some things are just because they are. And the solutions to our problems aren't straightforward, though they are sometimes simple. Sometimes it's just a matter of having a brownie or a listening friend. That's me.

Doughnut. Comfort food. As a mother, it's my role in life to create a comfort zone. A place where people can take off their shoes and make themselves at home. A place where my family can retreat after a tough day in the battlefield of life and recover to face the next day. I am comfort food, sometimes with Bavarian cream, sometimes with strawberry jelly, and sometimes just with open arms. But always sweet, always filling, always soothing.

What kind of dessert am I? I am whatever is needed. I am surprising, luscious, loyal, and comforting. I am a woman. I am a mother.

And right now I'm rather hungry, too.

2 comments:

Scribbit said...

Can I say Lime meringue pie? I'm with you on the lemon but in that eternal quest to be different I actually like the lime slightly better.

Jordan McCollum said...

I really like this! I agree that mothers are so many different things at once, and I love the way you've described them all here!