Monday, March 16, 2009

Enjoy That Cheesecake!

The scale keeps shocking me, and not in a good way, either. I need to figure this thing out, right away...

I am determined to be 11.8 pounds less than the scale measured me at this morning - by June, bikini season. I am relying on you, dear blog, to hold me accountable.

On New Years this year, I made a resolution to enjoy each bite I took - to savor and relish everything I ate. No limits - cheesecake and ice cream are okay - but I have to enjoy each bite I take of them. It fits my goal of enjoying the moment, finding joy in the simple things that surround me every day.

I haven't kept that resolution by any means. I need to navigate the obstacles somehow.

Obstacle #1 - Multitasking. I'm constantly trying to fit eating in between baby care, reading, blogging, housework, errands. In fact, when I've decided to eat something, I'll deliberately look for something I can do while I eat, like reading that education book I've been putting off.

I need to get over this mindset. So I'm setting up a couple of goals for myself. First - only eat while sitting at a table. Not in front of the TV, the computer, or while driving. If I'm starving, I can afford to stop and find a place to sit.

Second - make my primary eating place attractive. Keep the dining table free of clutter, so it is open and available when I'm ready to eat. Use things I love as the centerpiece. Keep the windows washed - inside and out. Play music there. Get plants to put in planters outside on the patio, so I can look at them while I eat. And then work on the rest of the yard so it looks relaxing and doesn't distract me, either.

Obstacle #2 - Trashcan Mentality. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who finishes up what the kid doesn't eat. And if that's not bad enough, I also force myself to eat the leftovers or scraps - the patties that were a little burnt, the potatoes that were overcooked, the beans that weren't such a hit and are in danger of going bad if no one eats them, the produce that we're just not eating up fast enough.

I just can't stand the thought of food going to waste when there are so many people starving in Africa.

But my eating it isn't helping them, is it?

So - dishing up very small portions for my kid, giving her seconds if she finishes the first, is in order.

And I'm going to get over my issues with throwing food away. If it's not good enough for my family, it's not good enough for me, either.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some things to work on...

No comments: