Friday, March 20, 2009

Heritage

I’ve done the FlyLady thing. I love her like crazy and appreciate the work she’s doing in transforming people’s lives. I still do Kelly’s missions.

But I’ve gone through decluttering, and now I feel empty. Light, free, and empty. So my focus now is on filling my life with things I love. Perhaps that is just the next step after decluttering, and I never would have gotten here without the decluttering.

I love the idea of a hope chest. I never had any such thing. But now I’d like to buy one to give to my daughter on her 16th birthday. As I find things meaningful to me, I’d like to put them inside. Books, framed sayings, etc. Maybe toys that were special to her but she’s outgrown. The afghan from her great grandma. Heritage items. Items for when she sets up house. Books for when she becomes engaged. A special apron. Little luxuries that will make her feel special.

There’s a worried feeling in me that what I find meaningful, she may just see as clutter. Somehow she’ll need to find her own balance between what is clutter and what she loves, and I can’t force my values on her.

But I can gift her with even more meaningful things than a hope chest. I can share sunrises and moonlit walks with her. We can smell flowers together. More than anything else I could give her, I want her to experience the joy of living life in the moment, finding beauty in the small things, making memories that last, and building a friendship with that Friend who will never leave her.

No comments: